Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Brown sugar cookies

For my calculus class tomorrow, since they have a midterm, I plan to bring in cookies. I chose a very fine recipe form Cook's Illustrated.

In a cast-iron pan, melt
  • 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
and, swirling, continue to cook one to three minutes to a dark golden and nutty aromatic. (Why use cast-iron? The butter doesn't care, but, short of rendering lard, this is about the best thing you can do for your cast-iron.) Remove from heat, transfer to a large heatproof bowl, and stir in
  • 4 Tbsp butter
to melt. Set aside to cool.

Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to middle and middle-high, and preheat oven 350°F. In a medium bowl, combine
  • 2 cups plus 2 Tbsp (whole wheat pastry) flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp salt
and set aside.

To cooled butter, add
    1 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
and mix until no lumps. Scrape down bowl. Add
  • 1 large egg plus 1 yolk
  • 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
  • optional: 1 tsp molasses
and mix to fully incorporate. Add flour mixture, and mix, scraping down bowl.

Roll into small balls, and toss in a mixture of
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
and place on baking sheets. Bake 13 minutes, and do not overbake.

The number of cookies made by a particular recipes depends dramatically on the size of the cookies. In my notes, I wrote in "makes 2 dozen", presumably making largish 2-Tbsp cookies. This time, worried I wouldn't have enough for my sixty students, I made a double batch: I made just over 180 cookies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too bad i'm not in your section this semester. i miss your cookies!! I tried the peanut butter ones you made last year they were quite scrumptious and made the taste buds dance.
-eric haugen (former 1B student)