In a dutch oven or large pot (the stew can cook in the oven or on the burner on low), combine:
- 1 red cabbage, cut into small pieces
- 1 lb tempeh, in large cubes
- 1 large leek, washed and cut into small pieces (with, as always, tips and roots reserved for a vegetable stock
- Up to a bottle of red wine — cooking wines that have started to go acrid are fine
- A fair amount of soy sauce, but not so much as to overpower anything
- A handful of star anise
- A spoonful of sugar
- Enough water so bring level close to covering, but not too much; cabbage will release liquid.
- 3/4 lb red fingerling or Russian Banana potatoes
Wine is a meat tenderizer, so this broth is great for stewing tough meats (guinnea hen, mutton, etc.). If you are not trying to play the timing game, you can also thicken the stew with some corn starch at the end and serve over rice.