- 1 leek, washed well (there's lots of dirt between the leaves), with roots and outer leaves removed and saved for stock, and diced
- A few sticks of celery, diced
- A handful of carrots, washed and diced
- Some parsley, diced, and other fresh (or dried) herbs: basil, tarragon, sage
- Salt and pepper
When vegetables start to release water, cover and stew for a few minutes. Then add
- 6 cups water
And bring to boil, reduce to simmer, etc.
- a couple pounds of fresh peas and fava beans: you should yield a cup or two of shelled legumes.
- 1 large bunch spinach.
When beans are cooked, add spinach, poking it down under the water to fully submerge. Cook a few minutes more.
Transfer roughly half the soup to a blender (just need to do one batch), and blend to smooth. Return the blended soup to the pot with the unblended soup, and stir to combine.
Serve immediately: color will not keep. Serve with a moist feta cheese, or sour cream, or crème fraîche, or, if you have them, sprinkle with bright orange flower petals (marigold or nasturtium).