Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lemon bars

S's sister is a terrific baker. We were recently treated to some of her desserts, and I was particularly impressed with her lemon bars, a dish I always fail at hopelessly. She gave me her recipe, which I have reproduced below — I have not yet had a chance to try it, but I look forward to doing so.

For the crust:
  • confectioners sugar ½ cup (sifted)
  • flour (sifted) 1½ cup
  • unsalted room temp water ¾ cup
350°F. Butter 9 by 13 inch baking pan.

MIX: Sifted confect. sugar, sifted flour, unsalted butter. It will take a while but beat on low speed until smooth sticky dough forms.

Put dough into pan and press down evenly into the bottom. ∼½ inch up sides. Bake ∼25–30 minutes until deep golden brown. Rotate so evenly golden.

Filling:
  • sifted flour ½ cup
  • sugar 2¼ cup
  • lemon juice 1 cup + 2 tbsp
  • lemon zest grated (from any size lemon but I use medium to small)
  • 6 large eggs, 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 pinch salt
Sift flour, whist sugar, add lemon juice, zest, stir to dissolve sugar. In separate bowl whist eggs, egg yolk, and salt (helps relax protein). Add eggs to lemon misture, whisk.

When crust ready, pull out oven rack, pour lemon mixture directly into pan, REDUCE to 300°F, cook 30–35 min until custard not wobbly.

No comments: