Oh, and this recipe is going up immediately, because we forgot to take photos of dinner. I have a hard enough time remembering what we made based on two-month-old pictures, and by the time I get to posting the last few meals (hopefully soon) I won't remember we made tonight's dinner at all.
This is a "quick" soup: no stock. Begin cooking about ninety minutes before dinner, but you'll have at least an hour of simmering when you can go do other things.
Heat a large splash of olive oil at the bottom of your favorite soup pot. Add salt and begin sauteing:
- 3 spring red onions, cleaned and diced
- 1 spring garlic, washed, cleaned and diced
- 1 clove dried garlic, minced
- 4 small carrots, washed well and diced
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 2 sprigs each rosemary and savory, stems removed and minced
- 1/2 cup pearled barley
- 1 lb crimini mushrooms, washed and halved
- a bit more salt
- 1 large can tomatoes
- 1 small can your favorite white beans (we used soy beans, since it's all we had)
- 2 quarts water
- yet more salt
Right before serving, stir in a small splash of vinegar. Sprinkle the bowls with minced parsley, and serve with a crusty bread.